This week, in light of Valentine’s Day, I invite you to join me in Self Love – whether you indulge in Self Love for just one day, one hour or the entire week.
I would like you to start by asking yourself some questions. Think of it as a Self Love creative writing project.
How do I treat myself?
Am I kind, forgiving, loving? If not — and be honest — is this a reflection of how I treat others?
Do I talk more than I listen?
Am I healthy?
How do these answers affect the ways in which I perceive the world?
This is not meant to be a stressful activity, so take three long slow exhales, jot the questions down and take your time answering them truthfully. We cannot be cable of receiving love until we are able to love ourselves, and the first step in Self Love is honesty/Satya.
“Satya is the Sanskrit word for truth. It also refers to a virtue in Indian religions, referring to being truthful in one’s thought, speech and action. In Yoga, satya is one of five yamas, the virtuous restraint from falsehood and distortion of reality in one’s expressions and actions.” wikipedia
B.K.S Iyengar says in Light on Life, “Light comes to a person who extends his awareness a little more than seems possible. We limit ourselves by settling. We say, oh I don’t want to go beyond this, because I know this is good. This is living in one’s old mind. The minute one settles the light of awareness and attention is fading. ”
Each day, place your awareness and attention on being the best You possible and celebrate the small victories of change. Even in your Yoga practice, getting a little closer to your legs in those forward bends is a great victory to celebrate, and if it goes unnoticed your practice will be stagnant and won’t evolve. Encourage yourself and others!
Then, set small goals for your day, or for an hour or the entire week of Self Love.
Here are some examples of small, simple goals you could set:
- Take a 20 minutes of savasana (corpse pose) anytime, anywhere
- Set aside 2 hours to read a book, one that is not on an electronic device, which leads me to the next suggestions…
- Have minimal electronic usage
- Practice your asanas and pranayama
- Meditate for at least 15 mins
- Go for a walk
- Treat yourself to something you’ve wanted for a long time, like a massage. Ill be doing this one this week! 🙂
- Last but not least, eat well-balanced, healthy whole foods, using the knowledge that food can alter your mood and your mind.
Good luck on your week full of Self Love!
I wish you all a week filled with love, light and pece.
Happy Valentines Day ❤