The Detox Workshop will be just after the holidays, Sunday January 8th 2017 8h30-11h. A great time for cleansing both body and mind.
We will build up our immune system, preparing it for the winter months that usual bring a few colds with them. As well as energising the body with a beautiful twisting Yoga sequence, to help rid any toxins or emotional baggage that may be weighing us down, leaving us feeling light and more at ease.
You will be given 3 delicious detox juices at the end of the workshop, made fresh by me, along with helpful tips to take home with you to help keep your energy up throughout the day at a cost of 55€.
Wondering if you need to detox? Here’s a little more background on detoxing. Is it right for you? Do you have symptoms that could benefit from a cleansing reboot? Plus – if or when you do decide to do a detox – I give you 5 steps to follow one week prior to detoxing, in order to make the transition simple and easy (see below)
Do I need to detox?
When you hear someone say they need a detox, it’s usually because they feel sluggish or they are having problems with constipation, depression, or bloating, and they want to help their body do what it does naturally.
We often take in toxins that cause mental and physical problems, for example junk food, alcohol, cigarette smoke, or pesticide residues in food. Alternative medicine suggests modern foods are contaminated by various unnecessary elements, such as flavor enhancers, food colorings, and artificial preservatives, so we need to get rid of them too.
Doing a regular detox helps bring us back to a “normal” state, where we feel more focused and energetic. This is also a good time to listen to the body and see what it really needs in terms of food. It gives us a chance to see what foods make us feel good.
Detoxifying your body with fresh fruit and veggies, whole grains and nuts will also give your skin a glow and boost your immune system.
What should I not do in a pre-detox or during detox?
You shouldn’t stop eating. The big myth of detoxing is that you don’t eat at all, when actually it’s knowing what to and what not to eat that’s crucial. When you are detoxing you still need nutrients and doing it the wrong way can be harmful.
What are some symptoms that show I may need a re-boost or a detox?
- History of alcohol or drug use
- Long term prescription drug use
- Sensitivity to chemicals, tobacco smoke, fumes, perfume, cleaning chemicals, etc
- Stomach pain caused by unhealthy foods
- History of nausea or upset stomach
- Greasy or shiny stools, stools that float
- Light or pale colored stools
- Headache over the eyes
- Gallbladder pain
- Bitter taste in the mouth
- Easily hung over
- Consumption of asparthame
- Pain under right side of rib cage
- Hemorrhoids or varicose veins
- Chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia
- Severe PMS, fibroids, or cysts
- Severe fatigue
- Thyroid dysfunction
- Trouble handling blood sugar in balance
- Depression, anxiety or other mood disorder
5 steps to prepare for a detox : the “Pre-detox”
- Wean off toxins. You want to make sure the body doesn’t go into extreme shock when you start detoxing, so before beginning it is best to ease yourself into it. Wean off of sugar, caffeine, alcohol and smoking (if you smoke), as well as eat a mostly vegan diet for at least three days before the detox, and then three days afterwards.
- Nourish the body. Start giving the body fresh and whole grain foods that are easy for the body to digest and full of wonderful nutrients, if you do not already have them in your diet.
- Stock up on fruits and veggies, vegetables for soups, lentils, quinoa and brown rice, and maybe even pick up some green juices to get the palette accustomed to the taste.
- Get enough sleep. Try to get at least 8 hours of sleep a night as to not feel tired or groggy. While we sleep, the mind is doing its cleaning process and the body is recuperating from the day.
- Start your day with lemon water and meditation. Wake up 15 minutes earlier to start the day off with a cup of warm lemon water to clean the insides and bring a (ph) balance to the body followed by a 5 minute mediation, while the mind is not yet full of distractions from the day.
. . . Then you should be all ready for your detox 🙂 We will do the first detox day together the 24th of January. Try to have your warm water and lemon in the morning an hour before the workshop.
I will post the recipes for the juices if you feel like you want to try for a 3 day detox continuing on after the workshop.
Always listen to your body. Three days is more than enough for a good detox, but if you feel like you just need one day, a day in a half or two then that is all you need. Don’t let the ego get the best of you, practice Satya (honesty) with yourself.