Why 108? There are many reasons for the belief in the sacredness of the number 108.
- There were initially 54 sounds in the Sanskrit alphabet: 2 X 54 = 108
- There are 108 Upanishads, which are part of the oldest scriptural texts of Hinduism. They primarily focus on philosophy, meditation, and the nature of God.
- There are 108 names for Hindu deities.
- The distance between the earth and sun is 108 times the diameter of the sun, therefore, the number 108 is taken to represent the “distance” from the devotee to the divine.
- Some say there are 108 feelings: 36 related to the past, 36 related to the present, and 36 related to the future.
It is also believed that doing 108 Sun Salutations is a way of breaking out of the darkness and into the light.
So come this week to get out of the darkness and into the light with 108 sun salutations!
See you on the tapis!