Golden Milk is one of my favourite night time rituals that I came across in a desperate search for a natural remedy to deal with my lower back pain. I have tweaked a variety of recipes before arriving at a recipe that pleases my pallet and my body 😉 Below you will find my version of Golden Milk. I prefer to make a big batch of Golden Milk Paste that I can then store in my fridge and use at will.
You may be asking, “Ok, so what is this Golden Milk?” Well, it is an ayurvedic drink recommended by practitioners to drink at least 60 minutes before bed. Ayurveda and Unani systems of medicines in India have used turmeric in health and wellness for as long as records of it have existed. The main ingredient of golden milk is turmeric, which is known for its antioxidant, anti-cancer, and anti-inflammatory properties now, but traditionally, turmeric milk/golden milk was used for colds, congestion, headaches, and sore throats.
Some of you that had the opportunity of coming to the Candle Lit Nighttime Workshop received a glass of my homemade Golden Milk and have since been asking for the recipe. It is my pleasure to finally share it here with you.
May it help to bring balance and wellness to you all.
|Preparation time: 5 minutes||Cook Time: 0 minutes||Paste Serves: 20|
- 125 ml water
- 4 T(cs) curcuma/tumeric
- ½ tsp(cc) black pepper
- ¼ tsp(cc) cardamom
Golden Milk (for 1 cup)
- 1 tsp(cc) coconut oil
- ¼ tsp(cc) golden paste
- 250 ml almond milk
- 1 T(cs) honey or agave
- Mix all the ingredients for the golden paste together in a sauce pan with a spatula and heat over medium heat stirring constantly until it forms a paste.
- Place the paste into small glass jar. Allow to cool before sealing and storing in the fridge.
- To make the golden milk warm the almond milk in a pot over medium heat with the honey, coconut oil, and golden paste until warm and all ingredients are well incorporated.
- You can add more or less honey to your tasting pleasure.
- I prefer to drink it hot, but is also very pleasant cold.